Roger Bourke White Jr.
- Published author: three technical books, award-winning
technical magazine columnist
- MIT graduate in Chemical Engineering
- Helped the startup Novell Inc. figure out how to sell Netware
- Web publishing since 1996
- Utah Society of Technical Communicators winner
- Four times semifinalist/honorable mention in Writers of the Future contest
- Extensive knowledge of Netware (CNI), Microsoft (MCSE) and personal computers
- Advanced Toastmaster (public speaking award)
What's distinctive about Roger's outlook?
Roger's view of the world is distinct. Roger is a careful observer, and what
he watches for is how science and technology change our world.
Q: How did Columbus finding America change our world?
A: The answer is that Europeans ultimately got cigarettes, french fries
and pizzas, and South Americans got Spanish and Portugese as their native tongues.
Q: And why didn't Americans learn Norse instead of Spanish?
A: Because the Vikings didn't have the ship technology or social unrest
to follow up their discovery with millions of immigrants.
This is how Roger views the world and talks about it.
The result: Roger's viewpoints are very fun, but very solidly based in contemporary
science. They are fresh and valuable!
Roger is also good at making contemporary high technology understandable. He
is a master at using simple language to describe new concepts, and at pointing
out how new concepts are valueable to real people in the real world.
Roger writes for easy understandablity. For many years he has taught English
in Korea, so he is quite aware of how non-native speakers use and understand
English. He now writes Globalized English.
What has Roger done up to now
In addition to his research and contract writing for other people, Roger has his opinions
posted on his White World web site. They are broken
into sections. Here are the more interesting ones:
- Nonfiction Essays -- Science
essays about wide ranging topics. These range from Why Humans Like Soft Drinks
to How Hot is Venus?
- Nonfiction Videos -- Roger's newest
tool for communicating some of his neat ideas. See
How Hot is Venus as a lecture video.
- Editorials -- Roger keeps up
on current events. When he sees something wacky happening, he tries to explain
why it is wacky, and why it is happening anyway.
- Cyreenik Says -- Closely related
to the Editorial section, Cyreenik says deals with a specific set of wackiness
-- that caused by Panic and Blunder, a Roger Theory of human behavior that
is explained in this section.
- Technofiction --
Roger's version of science fiction. Roger loves story telling, but when
he tells a story, he loves it best when it is internally consistent and closely
matches our real world. He feels that science fiction should explore what
differences technology makes to how we live our lives.
If you would like to hear what Roger has to say, please
Other Fun Facts about Roger
- nephew of Margaret Bourke-White, photographer for Life magazine, and an
accomplished photographer himself
- helped engineer the Space Shuttle
- climbed 14,000 foot peaks in the Colorado Rockies, and bicycled from Boston
- has a commercial pilot's licence with an IFR rating
- has driven through all 50 states and worked in 5 countries
Here is a select list of Roger's publications.
Here is more information on Roger's formal education,
professional experience, and certifications.
to resume kit